First of all, you will need to understand the standard inclusion specifications. The more detailed the builder's quote is, the better it is for you when it comes to analysis and comparing what two builders are offering.
When you receive your first quote from any builder, the standard inclusions in their quote are usually the most basic of all. Always check what their inclusions are.
- You can have a quick research online on the brand and type of the products the builder are giving.
- Visit your local home show expo to have a look and feel of the finishes and materials the builders are providing.
- If you can't find anything on them or are not sure on any part of the quote, make sure to recheck and clarify with the builder.
The main quote will only cover the cost and inclusions of the house itself. Anything that is outside of the house or has to do with the condition of the land will fall within the site cost. This is why site cost will vary depending on the complexity of your land and design.
Site Conditions which can increase your site costs are:
- Soil condition - whether it is a sandy site or clay site.
- If it is clay site, is extra engineering required?
- Is the land flat or is there a slope? Are retaining wall required?
- Are there any easements within the site?
- Are all of the services available on site?
- How much run-in is required for each service?
- Do you need to relocate the water meter if applicable?
- Are there any boundary fences? Are they installed on the boundary line?
- Is there any existing house to be demolished?
- Is there existing rubbish on site that needs to be removed?
- Are there lots of existing trees to be removed?
Are soakwells allowed to be installed on site? (A soakwell is a product designed to divert and control storm water runoff)
- Do you require the builder to do some external work such as:
- Fences and Gates
Never choose a builder simply they have the lowest price. You might still end up choosing the builder with the lowest price but make sure that you have ticked off all of the other boxes for that builder. Making sure that they are the right fit for you and your project.
Yovita has worked in the building industry throughout her career. For more advice from her on choosing the right builder for you visit www.nitly.com.au
What now? Search the builders on Homeshelf to find the best builder for you...