Nothing adds value to your home like a marble or stone fireplace. Marble or stone fireplaces are a high-end feature that also bring functionality to your home by allowing you to make any room more inviting, warm and cosy, perfect for special times with loved ones.
Of course, like any asset, you need to know how to maintain and clean your fireplace if you are going to make the most of your traditional fireplace design. With the right care and attention, your fireplace will become the centrepiece of your home, and an architectural masterpiece in its own right.
Follow these expert tips, and your marble or stone fireplace surrounds will be a talking point all year-round.
1. Removing Debris
If you notice any dirt or debris on your fireplace, you should remove it as quickly as possible. Marble and stone are both durable materials, but they are also porous, so if any acidic or staining debris is left on the area it could create permanent damage.
2. Use the Right Cleaning Materials
The best cloth to use in order to clean your fireplace is a clean microfibre material cloth that has been dipped in distilled water. The fabric should be entirely clean, and the water should be distilled as much as possible. The cloth should be damp but not soaking, and the water should be warm. Never use chemicals or even vinegar, as they could damage your marble or stone fireplace.
3. Wipe Down the Area
Wipe the affected area until its clean. For a particularly dirty section or tough stain, use the cloth and wash and repeat as often as required.
4. Wax the Area
Often, washing down your fireplace will remove some of the shine. You can use a high-quality wax that is designed for stone and marble to restore any lost shine. Just make sure the surface is completely dry before you apply the wax to the fireplace and surrounds.
How to Remove Tougher Stains
Sometimes you may need a more heavy-duty approach to stain removal than the method listed above. If you need a more aggressive cleaning method, you may need to use a poultice or a marble cleaning agent. This will help to remove stains caused by paint, ink, oil and even metal.
A poultice is an absorbent material mixed with a chemical cleaner that forms a thick paste which you can leave on the affected area for up to 48-hours. You can repeat this process until the stain has been removed.
Your fireplace is a significant investment for your home and your lifestyle. If you follow the tips listed above, in order to keep it clean, you can expect decades of enjoyment and an investment that will pay for itself time and time again.